- Must be at least a college junior in good standing, a recent graduate, or a graduate
- Must have excellent research, writing and people skills.
- Must demonstrate proven interest in African issues. Candidates who are undergraduate
- majors or graduate level students of African Affairs are preferred.
- Must work well with others and interact professionally with senior officials.
- Must be detail oriented and have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have at least a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale), or equivalent from a non-U.S. institution.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
- Ability to read and write French is highly desired.
Archive for the 'AfricanStudiesGraduatePrograms' Category
Fellowships at the Smithsonian Institution provide students and scholars with opportunities to pursue independent research projects in association with members of the Smithsonian professional research staff.
Graduate Student Fellowships
These fellowships allow students to conduct research for ten-week periods in association with Smithsonian research staff members. Applicants must be formally enrolled in a graduate program of study, must have completed at least one semester, and must not yet have been advanced to candidacy in a doctoral program.
Predoctoral Fellowships - These fellowships allow students to conduct research for periods of three to twelve months. Applicants must have completed coursework and preliminary examinations for the doctoral degree, and must be engaged in dissertation research. In addition, candidates must have the approval of their universities to conduct their doctoral research at the Smithsonian.
Postdoctoral and Senior Fellowships - Postdoctoral Fellowships of three to twelve months are available for scholars who have held the doctoral degree or equivalent for fewer than seven years as of the application deadline. Senior Fellowships of three to twelve months are available for scholars who have held the doctoral degree or equivalent for more than seven years as of the application deadline. Applications for senior fellowships may be made up to eighteen months in advance. Stipends for senior fellowships are the same as for the postdoctoral program, but the Smithsonian's stipend may be matched by other sources of funding such as a sabbatical salary.
Senior and Postdoctoral - $45,000 per year Earth and Planetary Sciences Senior and Postdoctoral - $50,000 per year Predoctoral - $30,000 per year Graduate Students - $6,500
January 15th (postmark) for awards to begin on or after June 1st
For more information see the previous section 'Information for Applying to the Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program'